pre-graduate training position/part-time/one academic year
Applications for the 2022-2023 training year are no longer being accepted.
Applications for the 2023-2024 training year will open in 2023.
Who is this program for?
This program is for graduate-level trainees who are interested in developing a trauma-informed practice through clinical training experience.
CCIH primarily provides clinical services to an adult population, and while there may be opportunities to work with older adolescents this is entirely dependent on the current referral base. The internship is a full academic year commitment (end of August/early September to June 30). Given the importance of the development of the relationship in trauma therapy, we do not provide short-term/supplemental training opportunities, regardless of the requirements of the graduate program.
Internship Learning Objectives:
- Understand the essential principles of a trauma-informed practice and explore current theories related to trauma and attachment
- Define and practice what it means to work in the present moment and begin to integrate a body-centered lens and clinical skills
- Develop theoretical awareness of and beginning practice with the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of dissociation and dissociated parts
- Collaborate on developing integrated treatment approaches tailored to the unique needs of each client
- Develop awareness of interventions for the impact of attachment wounding and complex trauma
- Engage in understanding one’s own biases and develop skills for working with clients from an anti-oppressive lens
- Learn the administrative and clinical skills related to managing a caseload within a private practice setting
CCIH Interns Will:
- Provide weekly individual psychotherapy (averaging 8-10 weekly client hours) including 4 prime time hours per week (after 5:00pm or on Saturday)
- Observe a 10-12 week session of an Integrated Practices group
- Develop clinical skill for working with clients with a history of trauma from a neurobiologically-informed, present-centered, and anti-oppressive lens
- Attend and participate actively in 1-hour weekly, individual, clinical supervision
- Commit to participating in the community at CCIH by attending all required meetings and engaging in events and professional development activities
- Present at least two client cases in CCIH’s monthly community consultation meeting
- Be responsible for developing awareness of and strategies for managing own window of tolerance in service of clinical work
- Maintain clinical records in compliance with current ethical standards
- Write at least two contributions for CCIH’s Online Magazine
CCIH Interns Will Receive:
- One hour per week of individual supervision with an experienced and licensed (LCSW, LCPC, or Clinical Psychologist) CCIH staff therapist
- Weekly meeting with CCIH community, including monthly study group and a group clinical consultation with experienced staff
- Monthly didactic trainings related to core competencies in trauma-informed care
- Attendance at any CCIH sponsored training event at no cost, space allowing
- Access to the CCIH Library of training videos
- Office space, electronic record, billing and administrative support
- Participation in an academic program at the Master’s or Doctoral level in a Social Work, Counseling Couples/Family Therapy, Clinical Psychology, Art Therapy, Dance/Movement Therapy, or other related program
- Completion of all academic requirements necessary (per graduate program) to engage in clinical field placement
- Ability to be on-site Thursdays 12-1:30pm for community meetings and didactic training, and flexibility in and prioritization of scheduling clinical training hours.
- A deep commitment to training in an integrated trauma-informed practice with adults with histories of complex trauma
- A willingness to develop awareness of and explore one’s own internal experience in and the effect on the therapeutic process
- A commitment to developing a self-reflective, anti-oppressive practice
- Prior employment or clinical experience is strongly preferred